29 May 2013

TUNGSTEN AND FLUORESCENT LIGHTING

These exercises using tungsten and fluorescent lights were done in the evening just after sunset when there was only a little daylight left. I adjusted my eyes to light levels inside and outside the room. There is more appreciation of what these exercises are supposed to achieve so far. There was cloud cover when i carried this out, measuring exposure readings inside the room before taking the photos. I got shutter speed of 1.3s at ISO 1250 and aperture of 7.1. I also made reference to blogs of some course mates to see how they handled this exercise. Materials from the digital camera website was very useful in explaining the color temperature concept.



AUTO WB:ISO 1250,122MM,F/7.1,1/50
TUNGSTEN WB:ISO 1250,122MM,F/7.1,1/40


SUNLIGHT WB:ISO 1250,122MM,F/7/1,1/30

From the images, the Auto White Balance is very close to the Direct Sunlight white balance. The tungsten white balance has rendered the image blue giving it a different color temperature. In the course of trying to take my meter readings on the camera, light levels kept changing probably due to the changing sun angles. So readings obtained were the closest i could get to balance as possible.  I prefer auto white balance as it seems more natural.


PART 2: FLUORESCENT

I used my work area for this exercise because both the overhead  bulb and my COMPACT FLOURESCENT LAMP (CFL) emit the same light. Checking out my camera white balance, I discovered there are mant fluorescent white balances  listed as follows:

1. Sodium vapour lamps
2.Warm-white fluorescent
3.White fluorescent
4.Cool-white Fluorescent
5.Day-White Fluoresecent
6.Day-light fluorescent
7.High-temp mercury vapour.


I took three pictures in Auto WB, sodium vapour and cool-white fluorescent.

AUTO WB

SODIUM VAPOUR WB


COOL WHITE WB



CONCLUSIONS

The auto white balance is the best to use in this circumstance. Auto WB works in most settings except where light sources tend to be quite mottled. Hence care should be ecercised in selecting white balane.

The fluorescent light sources do not emit a full colour spectrum which tends to affect overall colour quality of the image.







No comments:

Post a Comment